Sunday, March 27, 2011

Product Review: Blue Horizon Wild's Albacore Tuna Bites

I am trying, as creatively as possible, to introduce more seafood into mine and my family's diet.  The issue is that I don't really like seafood that much.  I grew up in a fishing area on the gulf coast, have fishing in my blood (dad's side), and I even love to fish.  It's just been the eating part that I've had issues with!

Soon after I met my boyfriend, we began fishing regularly and eating a lot of flounder, and the occasional trout.  The flounder was great, but that was likely because I stuffed it with all sorts of goodies which masked the "fishy" flavor.  The trout I basically drowned in sauces.  I have recently opened my palette up to fish once again, slowly introducing different species and cooking methods.  I'm pretty sure even the pickiest eater, once diagnosed with Celiac, soon became a lot more adventurous.

I frequently use tilapia, which is a white, mild flavored fish and great for family-cooking, because it's fairly cheap.  We also love shrimp in my home, whether boiled or sauteed, with pasta, cocktail-style, or in fajitas.  I'm always looking for new ways to eat more seafood, so I was super excited to find Blue Horizon Wild's seafood appetizers in the freezer section at my health food store.

They have a large variety of appetizer bites and also burgers, like salmon or tuna.  We picked up the Albacore Tuna Bites with Sweet Thai Chili and Ginger.  There are 12 bites per package, and are about the size of a half dollar.  I baked them in our toaster oven and made a sauce by reducing the Asian dressing that I swear by.  We had a few with some grilled BBQ pork and coconut rice last night..and they were awesome!

Check out that giant gluten-free logo! Love it!

They were full of wonderful, spicy flavor and the perfect addition to our meal.  I only wish they were a bit crispier but I didn't mind much at all.  I saved half of the package for another night (at nearly $7.00 a box, I can't afford to devour all 12, although I'd love to!).  Check out their website and browse all the different products: I counted twelve gluten-free options!  I can't wait to try more, especially the burgers and crab cakes.

1 comment:

  1. Great review! And I love that quote: I'm pretty sure even the pickiest eater, once diagnosed with Celiac, soon became a lot more adventurous.

    That is so true!!

    ReplyDelete