Thursday, April 7, 2011

Catch Up and Some Gluten-Free Sanibel Treats!

I haven't had time to post lately because I finally got a job a few weeks ago.  The job market is tough in South Florida, like most places, and it took me almost three months to get my foot in the door.  I am working in Sanibel and loving it; between seeing osprey catching fish in the morning and watching the dolphins swim in the bay on the drive home, I think I am pretty satisfied.  It keeps me busy busy busy, and my off days consist of cleaning up my apartment and taking care of my dog.  Not much time for blogging!

I did want to share about an adorable place in Sanibel though.  It's called Pocoloco, and they have coffee, smoothies, and sandwiches. While the sandwiches are obviously off limits, the smoothies and coffee are out of this world!  I had a Groupon coupon for $8 and bought two lattes and a smoothie.  I make smoothies every day and it was such a treat to pick up such a tasty one, and the girl who works next door was excited to have a surprise latte (you didn't think I was going to drink both, did you?).

Running out of room in my car!

If you are ever on the island, stop by and get the Snowbird smoothie...apricot, pear, and peach, your choice of milk (regular, skim, soy, or yogurt) completed with a drink umbrella.

Also, Jerry's supermarket on Sanibel (Pocoloco is in the same shopping center) carries a few gluten-free products, like Udi's bread.  Bailey's General Store carries an amazing amount of products, and even created a gluten-free product list (which includes many other allergens) for their store.  Matzaluna's can make gluten-free Italian dishes, although I've never been to the restaurant.  And the Over Easy Cafe is a great place to grab breakfast food: I love their cheese grits with a side of bacon.  You can get a personal size gluten-free pizza from Island Pizza, which is made on a pre-packaged rice crust. It's not the best gluten-free pizza in the area but it will do in a pinch!  The Island Cow has a gluten-free menu if you ask for it; but be warned: as my waitress handed it to me, she said "not to go by it."  I ordered chicken salad on top of leafy greens with some fruit on the side and felt fine.  

No comments:

Post a Comment