Friday, June 17, 2011

Gluten-free Mac & Cheese With Veggies

First off, let me start by saying I am selfish.  The main reason I added veggies to this was because I wanted to save some of the pasta for a salad next week for work, so I had to bulk this one up!  Oh yeah, and sure, I thought upping the health factor might be good, too.

Dig around in your fridge for some veggies.  I found green onions (that were on their way out), a few baby bell peppers, and a handful of cherry tomatoes.  I also dug up a bag of spinach.  Perfect!

Make sure you have some cheese (dairy, soy, Daiya, whatever!) and some milk.

Check out your spices; anything good?  I used ground mustard, cayenne pepper, and paprika.  And a good amount of black pepper.

Ancient Harvest gluten-free quinoa pasta is my favorite!

Grate your cheeses and set aside.  I used sharp cheddar and parmesan, about a half cup of each.  Chop up your veggies and mince a clove of garlic.  Cook your pasta, drain and set aside.  Clean the pot and use it for the sauce, by first adding a splash of olive oil, garlic, and green onions.  Sautee for just a minute or two on medium heat, then add a healthy pinch of ground mustard (I didn't measure anything for this recipe unfortunately, so adjust all amounts to taste!), a smaller pinch of cayenne, and another healthy pinch of paprika (it will give the sauce a nice color).

Once the spices are fragrant, around one minute, add in a tablespoon of gluten-free flour.  I use Bob's Red Mill All Purpose GF Flour.  Then add 1½ cup of milk (I used fat-free, that's all we have!).  Bring it to a quick boil, then reduce the heat.  Stir for ten minutes.

 Add in shredded cheese and stir to melt, then combine the sauce with veggies and pasta.  Freeze any extra sauce...it will be yummy on a baked potato!

Before and after baking

Add all to a casserole dish and bake at 375° for 30 minutes.  I like to broil mine at the end to give a darker color.  This is a great dish to bring to a cookout, especially for people who aren't accustomed to gluten-free food (and how AWESOME it can be!).

1 comment:

  1. I think you're so smart to add veggies...and not just because they're healthy! Boxes of GF pasta aren't cheap, and so I use veggies to stretch it out!

    ReplyDelete