Friday, May 20, 2011

Gluten-free French Toast & Two New Purchases!

I tried the French toast that I was thinking about making the other day, with Udi's bread, and fresh strawberries and eggs from Rabbit Run.  It was so yummy and was the perfect treat for a lazy Sunday morning.


 First, I macerated the strawberries and let them sit for a half hour or so.  This is Matthew's favorite way to eat strawberries!  I always loved topping my Grandmother's angel food cake with macerated berries. That's on a future to do list: gluten-free angel food cake!

For the batter, I used:
1 cup almond milk
3 eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 - 1/2 tsp cinnamon (just depends on how much you like, I used closer to half a teaspoon)
a pinch of salt

Mix this all together in a bowl, and get a pan on the stove and heat it over medium.


Once your pan is good and hot, dip a slice of bread into the mix and let the excess drip off (you don't want that stuff all over your pan, it will just burn!).  Gently lay it down in the pan; you want to hear that great sizzling sound once it hits.  Let it get golden brown and flip it.  Once both sides are golden, remove the toast and put it on a plate or in the toaster oven to stay warm while finishing the other slices. 


Top with strawberries and enjoy!

Like a lot of the food I make, this is dairy-free.  I had to eliminate dairy a few months after I was diagnosed with Celiac to help my guts get back in shape.  I'm able to have dairy now, but only in very small amounts, so I limit it to basically just cheese and yogurt.  Almond milk is an amazing replacement!  I prefer the Blue Diamond Almond Breeze original flavor.

Follow the jump for two new products I found while shopping today!

While at my local hangout (Target) today I discovered two products I haven't tried before, but was excited to see the words "Gluten-Free" on the packages. 
First, I found this weird little ball of lip balm.  I loved the shape, and I loved that there is no gluten or paraben!  It's by a company called EOS (Evolution of Smooth) and I bought the summer fruit flavor.  The shape reminds me of the incredible fruit that I devoured every day in Puerto Rico, quenepasIf you are a lip balm junky like I am, Lip Smackers has a line of natural balms out that are gluten-free too.

 
I grabbed a pack of these Muscle Milk drinks for work days.  Sometimes I am just too tired or rushed for my normal smoothies, and it's so much easier to grab a drink like this and eat my yogurt and fruit for lunch.  This size is only 100 calories, has no added sugar, and 15g of protein.  They are lactose and gluten-free, which means my stomach will be very happy and my mind will be at ease! 

No comments:

Post a Comment