Sunday, May 1, 2011

Gluten-free Farmer's Market & Grilling

I love finding dirty veggies at the farmer's market.  You know: imperfect, sand still in the creases, less than shiny fresh vegetables.  This is when they are good.  No chemicals used to create perfect shapes and giant sizes, no power washing, no waxing.  Just pure food.


Beautiful onions, new potatoes, sweet potatoes, peppers, lemon, green beans, corn (shucked prior to the photo!), tomatoes, pears, avocado, bananas and oranges.


Helloooooo nurse!! Some beautiful fresh snapper, from Andy's Seafood Truck.

Add a bit of fire and foil, and you've got yourself a great summer meal.


Rub olive oil and a small pat of butter on the corn after shucking, and place on top of a sheet of foil.  Add whatever kind of spices you like!  I went a normal route, with chili powder, salt and pepper.  Wrap tightly and throw on the grill while your protein is cooking.

I used a smoker bag (it has woodchips sewn in-between foil sheets) for the snapper and added some lemon slices.  Snapper is a clean tasting fish with a light flavor, so what I'm basically saying is...don't add a bunch of crap to it.  It's good on its own (and as much as I would prefer almost any other protein to fish, snapper has always been a favorite of mine) so don't screw it up!

I made fresh salsa from corn, avocado, tomato and lime juice again to have as a tangy side and use up some of my corn.  This is a great summer meal, especially when the days are as hot as they have been in south Florida.  The last thing I want to do is heat up my house with the stove or oven.

Plus, grilling gives you a great excuse to sit outside with a Redbridge in hand and watch the sunset!

2 comments: