Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Gluten-free deals!

I sure lucked out and I hope you can too!  My boss told me about Big Lots having gluten-free flours, so I went today to check it out.  Along with a few other Bob's products (7 Grain Hot Cereal, Muesli...neither of these are gluten-free, so forget it!), there were a few gluten-free treasures.  I skipped the brownie mix (can't beat the Betty Crocker Gluten-Free brownies!) and picked up the Cornbread mix and a massive 44 oz bag of the  All Purpose Baking Flour.  The cornbread was only $2.50 and the flour was $4.50.  The stores in Fort Myers to a crazy markup (I probably would have paid at least $12.00 for just the flour elsewhere) so I was so excited to find these products, especially at one of my favorite stores to waste time in, Big Lots.  I also picked up two bags of Thai rice noodles for $1.00 each.  Not bad!

Cornbread, with half rosemary and half banana peppers

Speaking of cheap, I also bought a Boston Butt and threw the whole thing in the Crockpot with a bit of Pam spray, salt and pepper.  I let it cook for 10 hours while I was running around on Memorial Day and shredded it after it was done.  This cut of meat cost me only $6.00, and is enough food to last for several meals.  My boyfriend made a pulled pork sandwich, and you can also make a BBQ sandwich just by mixing in some sauce (I like Organicville) and throwing it on some Udi's bread.  I'm also planning on using a bit of San-J peanut sauce, Thai basil leaves, thinly sliced red pepper, rice noodles, and rice paper wraps to make little pork summer rolls.  This is so much easier than it sounds and makes for a great lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment