Friday, April 22, 2011

Gluten-free Fishing and Jalapeno Poppers

I have grown up near the water my entire life, in a fishing community on the panhandle.  My grandfather taught me how to fish off a bay dock, catching croakers and pinfish to fertilize our backyard garden.  My mom taught me how to clean and filet fish, and I consider her an expert when it comes to preparing and cooking seafood.  I just love fishing because I was raised to enjoy it, and I think it is such an easy, cheap way to eat sustainably.  Gardening, hunting, and fishing are ways to provide food for your family in the most direct way possible using your own resources: no taxes are put onto your food, no chemicals, no pesticides, hormones, or antibiotics.  Does it get much better than that?  Not to mention it is an amazing opportunity to learn about nature and spend great times with friends and family creating memories. 

Nice young jack crevalle that we caught on a spoon lure

We are fortunate enough to live only a couple miles from Sanibel and Captiva Islands, some of the most beautiful beaches in the world.  The water is amazing and the fishing is pretty good too.  Matthew and I recently found a decent spot for shore fishing and have caught some fun fish.  Jacks are one of my favorites, the sound of the reel flying as soon as they hit and the fight to pull them in is an adrenaline rush for sure.  They are not a great eating fish though, so all jacks are throwbacks, along with a few other species we catch a lot of (ladyfish, catfish, croakers).  We don't keep anything we won't eat because it is wasteful of a precious life.

Spanish mackerel and the rod holder that I rarely use (I usually stay in the water to cast and pull in)

Today we went out with high hopes and were not disappointed.  Live bait was definitely our best method, unlike last week when the spoon was working so well.  I caught a few jacks and ladyfish, but Matthew pulled in a beautiful Spanish mackerel.  I cleaned and fileted it once we got home: thin filets but enough for a two person meal. 

Mackerel are known as a dark, oilier fish with a strong taste.  They have a dark blood line which runs the length of the body and if not cleaned properly, will give the fish that "fishy" taste which most people dislike.  The easiest cooking method involves just a few ingredients: Italian salad dressing, oil for frying, and cornmeal.  Marinate the fish in the dressing for just a few minutes, then dredge the meaty side in cornmeal and throw it into your frying pan, meat side down.  Don't bread the skin side: with mackerel, it's much easier to remove the skin after cooking than to try to do it while cleaning the fish.  Cook for just a few minutes each side and drain on a paper towel for a minute or two.  Flip it over and scrape off the skin.


I also made a quick sauce to help mask the strong flavor using mayonnaise, dried dill, olive oil, and lemon juice.  I know seafood is good for me, but I wish I enjoyed eating it more than I do catching it!

We were basically out of any fresh groceries, save for a few fruits and these jalapenos.  I made baked poppers using cream cheese, crumbled bacon, and cheddar cheese.  Gut the peppers (leave in some rib pieces if you like it super spicy) and be sure to wear gloves when handling the peppers.  Put the mix into a piping bag (ziplock with the tip cut off) to make filling the peppers easier.  Bake for 15-20 minutes at 350, and I like to broil them for a few minutes to brown the cheese. 

No comments:

Post a Comment