Thursday, April 21, 2011

Super Protein Snack #1

Why protein is so vital to people with Celiac Disease:
  • It rebuilds and repairs body tissues
  • It strengthens the immune system
  • It produces energy and stamina
I am always looking for new ways to eat protein throughout the day without eating meat or fatty nuts (like my favorite, cashews).  My most frequent technique is making smoothies for breakfast. They are so easy to customize to your own liking, and it just makes my body feel good and full after drinking a giant, cold smoothie. 


In order to pack some protein punch into your smoothies, you should use milk or yogurt.  I prefer Stonyfield Probiotic yogurt, which is certified gluten-free, and I can usually buy 2 packages of 4 yogurts for $4.00.  Plus you can find coupons on their website, and sign up for Stonyfield Rewards.  I also add soy protein powder from Jarrow, which is gluten-free and dairy-free.

 Did you know papayas contain an enzyme called papain, which breaks down proteins and aids digestive issues?  Plus it is a good source of folate, and the vitamin C content is through the roof!

The rest of the ingredients are completely up to you!  I use bananas, strawberries, papaya, and Florida orange juice.  This combination makes an incredibly powerful smoothie: vitamin C, protein, folic acid, potassium, calcium, and fiber.  There are tons of variations though; you can tailor it to your cravings or what you have in your fridge.  Every once in a while, I use yogurt, soy protein, bananas, and a spoon of Dark Chocolate Dreams.  It's so tasty, and feels like you are eating dessert for breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment